This four-week course will be covering social media and how to work it effectively, with emphasis on networking with your future employers, creating a bond with your customers, or making a connection with your audience. A bit of history will be included, but most of this course will be lecture and implementation.
Although not necessarily required, these items will make your job as a student of this course easier:
- A smartphone
- An openness to web apps, social media, and things that may be new to you!
- Understand social media as a business tool to help market and promote students’ products or services
- Learn how to utilize services like Foursquare, Twitter, and other social-driven products
- Understand the correct etiquette and procedures with social media in order to have success professionally
- Learn how to network and promote efficiently to reach a wider audience
- Ustream will be used to air the lectures live.
- Recorded lectures will be available almost immediately after class. Questions fielded during class will be included.
Week 1, Day 1: Monday, February 25
Introduction to Social Media
An overall view of what social media is and the initial principles of what makes social media successful
Week 1, Day 2: Wednesday, February 27
How to effectively use Facebook, Myspace, Google+, and LinkedIn, and their histories, briefly
Week 2, Day 1: Monday, March 4
How to effectively use Wordpress and sites like it, along with their histories, briefly
Week 2, Day 2: Wednesday, March 6
How to effectively use Twitter, Tumblr, and Posterous, and their importance
Week 3, Day 1: Monday, March 11
Photo & Video Sharing
How to effectively use Instagram, Flickr, YouTube, streaming sites, and others
Week 3, Day 2: Wednesday, March 13
How to effectively use Foursquare, SCVNGR, Yelp, and others, and why we need them
Week 4, Day 1: Monday, March 18
What’s the purpose behind Digg, Reddit, Slashdot, and Fark?
Week 4, Day 2: Wednesday, March 20
Although this class is geared more towards professionals, those just wanting to learn more about social media options are more than welcome to join in!
I am a journalist who has been a social media consultant for a variety of small businesses and entrepreneurs local to my area. I utilize social media everyday personally and professionally. My first publishing employer found me through Twitter after promoting and establishing an audience.