Art 101 is an introductory course that focuses on the question “What is the nature of visual art?” and the forms and conditions under which art is expressed. Projects will be required. Independent field trips to art galleries may be required.This class will introduce students to a variety of contemporary art practices and ideas. The class will begin with a brief overview of 'visual language' by looking at a variety of artworks and discussing basic concepts revolving around artistic practice. The rest of the class will focus on notions of the real/unreal as explored with various mediums and practices. The class will work in video, sculpture and in public space.
- no lectures added
Skills or Competencies
- Written tests & quizzes
- Presentation of artwork in sketchbook
- Completion of classroom art projects
Concepts or Topics
<br /> - Fine Art Theories - Fine Art Practices - Art History - Creative Expression
Upon completion of the course,
- the student will be able to: Identify how an appreciation of the visual arts' influences the quality of life.
- Analyze how the elements of form and principles of design work together with the creative process to produce a work of art
- Describe individual art disciplines, media and specific methods of making art.
- Define major historical and contemporary movements in art and discuss how art reflects its time and culture.
- Execute studio art projects in order to experience visual concepts, art disciplines and media in each of the following
- Maintain a comprehensive sketchbook demonstrating understanding of the elements of art.
- Create at least one basic 2D and 3D studio art project, utilizing media specific to the successful outcome of each project.<br />
- Execute one project based upon art history or museum observation.
Classroom & Sketchbook Projects:
Demonstration of Content Mastery:
- Quizzes over book & lecture material
- Tests (1 midterm, 1 final)
- Maintain Sketchbook notes
- Participate in eCafe Class
- Sketchpads 9”x12”(without lines, spiral bound)<br />
- Colored Pencils
- color Box
- Black Sharpie Fine & Ultra
- Kneaded Eraser
- Black and White Acrylic Paint (one tube each)
- Paint brushes for Acrylics